1. Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation (180 days)
and update at least the following packages through Window Update
-Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x 86
-Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Vista SP1, and Windows Server 2008 Security Update x86 (KB979913)
-Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Server 2008 (KB968930)
2. Install Microsoft Installer 4.5 (Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x86.msu)
3. Install Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition (SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU.exe)
Notice I had to indicate dual login (something like windows autentication and sql server access when I was installing) to be able to provide a password to “sa” user.
4. Install Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express (SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe)
5. Install Microsoft Web Platform Installer 5.0 (WPI) (wpilauncher.exe)
and try to install any Drupal installation (Drupal Commerce Kickstart, Acquia Drupal 7, Microsoft WebMatrix).
Any of these installations will fail but despite of that, it will configure IIS with some plugins like URL Rewrite and PHP (Fastcgi) for you.
After that, go to http://localhost to see how IIS homepage shows up. At this point, you should put a php file (named phpinfo.php) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot with <?php phpinfo(); ?> inside to see your PHP settings. (Let’s assume now you have http://localhost/phpinfo.php)
I admit you may configure by yourself IIS as well, if so, you may follow the steps described here
6. Install Microsoft Drivers for PHP for SQL Server (SQLSRV20.EXE)
You can uncompress the content into a folder like C:\php
inside there are two files php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll an php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll to
C:\Program Files\PHP\v5.3\ext (this folder was previously created by WPI)
6. Install PHP Manager through WPI, next go to IIS interface and enable the two files you have downloaded (php_pdo_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll an php_sqlsrv_53_nts_vc9.dll).
7. Restart IIS and check in your file http://localhost/phpinfo.php to see if these extensions are enabled (php_pdo_sqlsrv and php_sqlsrv)
8. Installation of Drupal, uncompress a full Drupal package in the web root, after that go to https://www.drupal.org/project/sqlsrv
and download the driver. Next, uncompress this driver as sites/all/modules/sqlsrv, and copy or move the sqlsrv directory found inside it in includes/databases.
9. Start the installation process and fill the appropriate values (first you have created a database named test7 (for example) in your mssql server and given proper permissions or roles)
Database Type = Microsoft SQL Server
Database name = test7
Database name = sa
Database password = xxxx
Database host = WIN-3H0CM7HAJTI\SQLEXPRESS
The last value you must read from your SQL SERVER configuration.
1. To update the database engine, you may use SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 4 (ENU\SQLServer2008SP4-KB2979596-x86-ENU.exe)
2. If you want to import data from another SQL Server 2008, you may have compliance issues (different versions for example, your local database engine is 10.00.1600 and the remote is 10.50.4000). Then, you could export your data to one single sql file from remote database engine using “Generate scripts”. Finally you could restore your data using a command like
sqlcmd -S WIN-3H0CM7HAJTI\SQLEXPRESS -i C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\db.sql -o C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\out.txt